Virginia Tech® home

Requesting an Extension of your Status

To request an extension of your status, ISS will need to receive a formal request to do so from your department. While ISS can issue a J-1 extension relatively quickly, once we receive the relevant ISS Request Form, more lead time is necessary for other status extensions. Please start the discussion about extending your immigration status with your supervisor and the person who manages HR processes in your departments 6-7 months prior to the expiration date of your current immigration status.